Sunday, July 06, 2008

The ongoing adventure in Canadian healthcare…

I hope you, dear reader, are not as tired of reading about our ongoing adventure in Canadian healthcare as I am eager to move on from it. Unfortunately, we are getting to see yet another aspect of the system.

About two weeks ago I woke to a very stiff back. No amount of stretching would ease the tension. Two days later, the tension finally eased, but I had pain radiating down my right leg and my right foot was tingling . . . you know that feeling, when you foot feels all pins and needles after it has fallen asleep. I went to a walk-in clinic, waited a long time, was finally seen by a doctor who took all of about two minutes to hear my story and prescribe an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxant. I was underwhelmed by his performance. Can you really make a diagnosis without taking time to truly hear your patient out? It was as though his sole job was to push through as many patients as possible. A few days later the symptoms had worsened, so Natalie talked me into going to the emergency room (‘emerge’ in local parlance). Dr. Murphy was not much better, but at least she prescribed physiotherapy.

The physiotherapist took over an hour with me going through skeleto-muscular tests, asking questions, probing, prodding. In the end, she came up with a plan of action to not just address the symptoms, but to solve the problem (I have a history of back issues).

It has been interesting to compare and contrast our family’s different experiences in Canadian healthcare. Anouk has received what I think could be the best care she could have had anywhere; meanwhile, I had two less-than-invigorating experiences, followed by the level of care I would expect.

1 comment:

Bronson said...

So what's the prognosis of your back pain? Siatica(Sp?)? That's what it sounded like. Radiating pain down your leg and numbness/tingly foot. Mom had this as well as I. Let me know what's up-curious.
Glad to see pictures of you guys and continuing your adventure.
Miss ya and Love ya, Brons